Saggy Eye Skin Treatment
Aging and genetics are the primary reasons for under-eye sagging. Your body slows the production of elastin and collagen with age. These are the proteins that provide elasticity to the skin. Fortunately, there are several anti-aging procedures and products that can tighten the skin around and under the eyes to lend your face a more youthful appearance.
Khan Eyelid & Facial Aesthetics, led by oculoplastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Tanya Khan, provides treatments for the tightening of loose or sagging skin under the eyes to patients in Plano, Dallas, Texas, and surrounding locations.
Tightening the Under-eye Skin
Under-eye skin can be tightened using skincare procedures and products that stimulate elastin and collagen production in the skin for contracting existing fibers. You can boost collagen production by using over-the-counter (OTC) topical cosmetics. The majority of these products offer moisturization and sun protection for giving the skin a more youthful and plumper appearance.
Plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures offer more effective, long-lasting, and desirable skin tightening results. However, these procedures are more expensive as compared to over the counter cosmetic treatments. They also involve considerable side effects and downtime.
Treatments for Under Eye Skin Tightening
Effective skin tightening treatments can help in the following manner:
- Encourage collagen production
- Reduce sagging skin to make it firmer
- Slow down degradation of collagen
- Make the skin more smooth and supple by improving its thickness
Procedures and Treatments
Topical cosmetics can treat mild skin laxity in the under-eye region. However, lotions and creams require consistent use. They may also not be completely effective in treating severely sagging skin.
These are a few effective surgical and cosmetic alternatives:
- Dermal injectable treatments that are made from hyaluronic acid can smooth the skin and fill in wrinkles around the eye area.
- Chemical peels can be used for dissolving the top layer of the skin for stimulating growth of a smooth and new layer.
- Microdermabrasion is useful in exfoliating and peeling away the outer skin layers for encouraging collagen production. This results in smoother skin.
- Microneedling involves creating microscopic punctures on the skin for stimulating collagen production.
- Laser and radiofrequency skin tightening makes use of heat to trigger the wound healing process in the body. This promotes the production of collagen and resurfaces the skin.
- Blepharoplasty is a type of plastic surgery procedure that involves the removal of loose fat and skin from the eye area.
The Bottom Line
Aging, genetics, and photodamage result in the breakdown of elastin fibers and collagen in the skin. Fine lines, wrinkles, loose skin, and crow’s feet may appear under the eyes as a result. You cannot fully prevent sagging skin under the eyes. However, procedures and topicals can be used for limiting visibility and rejuvenate the skin to some extent.
Using prescription topicals and over the counter treatments, such as lotions, toners, and creams, can stimulate collagen production that protect the skin from signs of aging. It can also help in combating mild skin laxity. There are several surgical and nonsurgical procedures that can provide dramatic and immediate results.
Board certified ophthalmologist Dr. Tanya Khan receives patients from Plano, Dallas, Texas, and nearby areas for treatments designed to tighten loose or sagging skin under the eyes.
Contact Khan Eyelid and Facial Aesthetics and Oculoplastic & Reconstructive Surgeon Dr. Tanya Khan Today to Schedule an Appointment
Taking patients from in and around Dallas, Plano, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Garland, Mesquite, Carrollton, Irving, Frisco, Texas and more.